History of the Art League
The Brenham Art Club was founded by a group of Brenham women who met informally in their homes to pursue the creation and appreciation of various forms of art. These meetings enriched the lives of the participants and nurtured a desire to share the world of art with the entire community.
In September 1956, the Brenham Art Club was formally organized through the special efforts of Jeanne Hawley, Madeleine Schwecke and Golda Johnson.
In addition to the local organization, the Club was instrumental in organizing the Lone Star Art Guild in 1961. Composed of art clubs in a 150 mile radius of Houston, the Guild’s first president was Jeanne Hawley, who was also the first president of the Brenham Art Club.
Membership and enthusiasm of the Brenham Art Club grew rapidly and many artists were invited to Brenham for workshops and demonstrations. Art classes were held for adults and children in the Presbyterian Fellowship Hall.